Keckley Report September 19, 2022
For the past 15 years, regulators have tried to reduce spending and improve quality by changing incentives from volume to value. Has it worked?
Background: At the Federal level, policymakers have used their fiduciary control of Medicare and cost-sharing authority in state Medicaid programs to attempt cost containment. Laws have been passed to enable a shift from fee-for-service to value-based provider payments most with bipartisan support:
· 2008 Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act (MIPPA),
· 2010 Affordable Care Act (ACA)
· 2012 Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program (HRRP)
· 2013 Hospital Value-Based Purchasing Program (HVBP)
· 2015 Medicare Access & CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA)
· 2017 Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS)
· (Pending) Value in Health Care Act (HR...